Saturday, August 7, 2010

Scat

Scat (no, I don't mean "Get outta here," and I don't mean the cool lyrics that Louie Armstrong made famous when his music dropped to the floor) is covering our ranch.  There is poop from one end of our five acres to the other.  Horse, deer, rabbit, bird, coyote, dog (not ours, we don't have one - yet), cat, and just yesterday I discovered elk!  ELK!  Elk are walking across our property.  We've seen every other animal above, including a baby mountain lion (that apparently didn't poop) but we have not seen the elk.  Only elk poop. Vicki suggested we sleep outside over night up by the forest so we can see him/her in the morning.  I think it's a cow and a calf because of the poop.  So maybe we'll sleep out one night.  Watch aurora borealis and catch a glimpse of the cow elk and her calf.  Nothing could be finer.  Stay tuned to this blog for the latest scoop on poop.  

5 comments:

  1. Every living thing poops. For some reason people don't like to talk about poop, I don't know why. Brian you obviously don't shy away from poop.
    I say SCAT Mr. Mountain Lion, do not need you around the horses!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Brian Biggs can even make poop sound intersting. Though I confess, I've always had a fondness for the smell of horse poop. And lately, on the Cooper Mountain nature trail, I've come across some mysterious "scat" coyote? couger? racoon. I've no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brave two you are willing to sleep out on the possiblity of seeing wild life...but a mountain lion? They attack humans do they not?
    You'd surely see me scat and maybe even my scat if I shat seeing a mountain lion close up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Lynn. But it's safe out here. Once, while sleeping on a hiking trip with my son down the Rogue River, I woke up around 3:00 AM to a bear (yes, a bear) standing right above my head. I yelled like crazy. Scared my son half-to-death but the bear took off running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew, glad you escaped a bear attack!
    I loved the sightings of bear, elk, moose, buffalo, rams, coyotes, etc we saw in Custer National Park and Yellowstone in years past.

    ReplyDelete